Saturday, April 13, 2013
The Glass of Water
Finding the specific protagonist for this play was a rather difficult task. Since there are primarily 5 central characters with specific storylines following each, it was a struggle to pinpoint who is the real protagonist.I believe that this play is a play centered mainly around love, rather than the conflict of 'war' itself. With this story of love comes the essential question of 'Will Abigail and Masham end up together and in love?' I don't always believe that whatever character receives more stage time is necessarily the protagonist. The audience gets a strong admiration for Abigail and Masham as a couple and as individual characters. Even though characters such as Bolingbrook receive more overall stage time, I feel that Abigail is more of the protagonist if the play. The audience can connect easier and have more empathy of her real situations. I feel that Scribe wanted the readers and audience to root and cheer for Abigail ( and Masham) more so as a team. Scribe maybe wanted us to root for a successful relationship between the two.Even though I believe that Abigail is the most 'protagonist' like character in this play, I don't feel that pinpointing a protagonist is necessarily important in this play. The plethora of conflicts and situations revolving around each character, when they come together- that produces a strong and powerful story.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment